School History

The Sunny Side Addition was established in the early 20th century when real estate agent and developer Mr. H. H. Holmes purchased a farm owned by the Masons in 1912, naming the area after his frequent travels through the countryside as the "sunny side" of town. Recognizing the community’s need for education, local residents, including Mr. Jimmie Marshall and others, formed a committee to secure a school building, which was eventually provided by trustees in 1918, leading to the founding of Sunny Side School on Holmes Road and Scott Street. Starting with just 20 students and one teacher, the school rapidly grew, reaching an enrollment of 1,400 by 1960, prompting the construction of a new facility at 3555 Bellfort Street. In honor of its first principal, Ethel Mosley Young, the school was renamed E. M. Young Elementary in 1999, and today, as Ethel Mosley Young College & Career Preparatory Academy, it continues to serve the community with an emphasis on leadership, character, literacy, and college readiness.
